Family conflicts such as divorce, child custody, or support disputes can be difficult to navigate on your own due to the complexities in Tennessee statute and the emotional aspect of the situation. Luckily, you can turn to any experienced Knoxville family lawyer with Hotz & Associates, P.C.
We pride ourselves on being compassionate with our clients while also strongly advocating for their rights. With us on your side, you can rest assured knowing we will protect your best interests and guide you through the litigation so that you can make fully informed decisions.
If you would like to schedule a free consultation, call (865) 582-0042.
What is family law?
Family law is a general term that covers issues such as divorce or legal separation, child custody and visitation, child support, alimony, and more. Our family law team at Hotz & Associates, P.C. are highly experienced family law professionals who promise to put your best interests at the forefront of each step of your case, including during every request that’s made.
We work on your behalf to obtain all information that’s relevant to your case, to help resolve disputes in an amicable manner when possible, and to present matters to the court when an agreement can’t be reached.
Here’s a closer look at some of the types of family law cases we handle.
Divorce and legal separation
Divorce is the process through which two spouses’ marriage is terminated, their assets and debts are divided, alimony can be ordered, and child custody and child support can be ordered where applicable. A legal separation accomplishes the same things, however, the marital status is not terminated.
In Tennessee, there are generally two types of divorce: no-fault and absolute.
- No-fault divorce is also sometimes referred to as a divorce based on irreconcilable differences. If you and your spouse agree on all terms of the divorce, a no-fault divorce can be granted.
- Absolute divorce is a divorce that’s based on a cause or reason. Some common grounds under an absolute divorce include cruelty or inhumane treatment, addiction to alcohol or drugs, adultery, abandonment, and more.
As part of the divorce, our attorneys also help in matters of child custody and support, alimony, and the distribution of marital assets.
Property division is a major component of most divorces. Whether you have property that you accumulated during the marriage or you had some before you were married, we’ll make sure you get what you deserve and that your rights are always protected.
Don’t worry if you didn’t “handle the money” so to speak and you’re not aware of all your assets and debts. We’ll gather all the pertinent records and will locate all liabilities and assets to ensure an equitable split of the property.
Child custody can be one of the most emotionally-charged parts of a divorce. We’ll advise you of your parental rights and can help you try to resolve custody disputes in a way that’s fair to both sides and is in your children’s best interests. If an amicable resolution isn’t possible, we’ll make sure you’re aware of the factors the court will take into consideration when making a ruling on this issue.
Your Hotz & Associates, P.C. Knoxville family lawyer will also work with you to develop the legal strategy needed to help ensure the best possible outcome – for both you and your child. The court will always rule in what it deems to be the child’s best interests.
We’ll work to provide evidence that your requests best align with your child’s interests and will provide them with the stability and support they need by providing evidence to support your request. This evidence could include the suitability of your home versus that of your soon-to-be ex, the child’s preferences, and proof of the emotional bond you and your child share.
We can also help with child support, whether you’re the parent requesting it, or you’re the parent who will be paying support.
Your attorney will explain the entire process and be with you at every turn. You’ll learn every step you need to take, all the paperwork you’ll need to fill out, and more.
There are cases where divorcing spouses agree on the terms of child support, and everything goes smoothly. We can negotiate with the other spouse’s attorney or your ex-partner.
In the event the court must decide on an appropriate child support order, we’ll present the facts surrounding each parent’s income and the reasonable order that must be issued. We’ll then make sure the child support order is implemented exactly as the court ordered to avoid any unintentional under or overpayments.
In Tennessee, spouses can either agree or be ordered to pay support to their former spouse. Support can be ordered when one spouse has the financial need for support and the other spouse has the ability to pay. Temporary support orders can be made during the divorce process, and other orders can be made for support to be paid after the divorce has been finalized.
The type and amount of support and the duration of payments will be different in every case based on the circumstances of each spouse’s situation.
The rules governing support can be very difficult, and if you’re representing yourself but your spouse has an attorney, your rights might not be protected and you could be taken advantage of. You owe it to yourself to ensure you have proper representation to protect your rights and your finances.
Benefits of working with a family lawyer
There are many benefits to working with a Knoxville family lawyer with Hotz & Associates, P.C. Here are just a few.
- Making the process go more efficiently – An experienced attorney has the expertise necessary to present the strongest case possible on your behalf. We know all the nuances that can arise from a family law case, and know how to anticipate them. We’ll be ready for anything, and ready to immediately adjust if necessary.
- Knowledge of the law – Again, our attorneys have a deep knowledge of all Tennessee family laws, and also know how different areas of the state handle certain types of issues. We keep up with all of the latest developments and legislative changes, and we’ll know how they will impact your case.
- Documentation – A family law dispute, such as a divorce, can generate a mountain of paperwork. We will ensure that all of your documents and court filings are completed correctly and submitted to the court on time. Our lawyers also know how important the wording of these documents can be. You can rest assured that all of your documents will meet all state requirements.
What to look for when hiring a family lawyer
Choosing a family law attorney is going to be one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make. As a result, you’ll want to be as sure as possible that it will be the right one. Here are a few things to consider.
- What are your goals? – Do you need to ask your attorney a few general questions, or do you need help with legal proceedings? Will you and your spouse be able to handle things in an amicable fashion, or will you need aggressive legal representation?
- Experience – You’ll want a lawyer who has a keen understanding of the legal process, one who will uphold proper standards of procedure throughout your case. Family law issues often require a certain amount of finesse to help people determine the best course of action. A seasoned attorney will have it.
- Communication – You’re going through a lot of different powerful emotions during this time. As a result, you’ll want to be able to turn to a steady, calm attorney who will keep the lines of communication open. There’s nothing worse than wanting to talk to your lawyer only to find they’re not available. When you consult with different attorneys, get a firm grasp of how accessible each one will be. Also, make sure you tell them how you want communications to be handled, whether that’s through email or over the phone.
- Fees – It will also be essential you know exactly how much you’ll have to pay and make sure the attorney’s fees will fit within your budget. You’re going through enough already. The last thing you need is to be hit with huge legal fees that you didn’t expect.
- Referrals – See what others are saying about the attorneys you’re considering. There are plenty of websites where clients will share their experiences with their lawyers. These reviews can provide insights you might not be able to get through consultations alone.
Our Knoxville family lawyers are here to help you and your family
At Hotz & Associates, P.C., every Knoxville family lawyer on our staff is incredibly skilled and provides passionate representation. We’ll do everything we can to protect your rights and help you achieve your goals.
If you would like to schedule a free consultation to learn more about how we may be able to help, call (865) 582-0042 or contact us online.