At Hotz and Associates, we aren’t just attorneys, we’re also mothers and fathers. The number of people who are injured or killed each year as a result of distracted drivers is staggering and unacceptable. Here are just a few of the sobering statistics:
- Texting while driving a vehicle makes the driver 22x more likely to crash
- Drivers who are talking on their cell phone are 4x more likely to have a car wreck
- Talking on a cell phone while driving gives a young driver the same reaction time as a 70 year old driver
- Answering one text can take attention away from the road for around five seconds. That is long enough to travel the length of one football field.
- According to a recent study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, texting and driving kills 11 teenagers in the US every day.
- 47% of drivers under the age of 18 admit that they have texted while driving.
If you are the parent of a teenage driver, talk to them about the dangers of cell phone usage behind the wheel. Consider having them sign a contract saying that they will not use their phone while driving.
If you are the parent of children who are not yet driving, model this behavior for them now! If they see you using your phone now at every red light, they will grow up thinking that it’s not a big deal and not really all that dangerous. It’s so important to instill in them while they are younger just how dangerous distracted driving really is.