They are synonymous with suburbia. Take a write personal essay drive through the neighborhoods or the countryside of East Tennessee, and chances are you will see dozens of them. Every kid wants one, and most parents have at least considered them.
Trampolines can provide countless afternoons of joy, freeing us from the bonds of gravity if only for a few seconds at a time.
But did you know that 100,000 hospital visits a year are caused by trampolines? The range of issues spans from bruises to spinal cord injuries. Of significant concern are these statistics:
- 1/3 of trampoline injuries happen to kids under the age of 6
- 50% of trampoline injuries to kids under 5 are fractures and dislocations
- 1 in 200 trampoline injuries leads to significant neurological damage
Patented in 1945 by competitive gymnast, George Nissen, the trampoline was used early on by the military for training exercises. Over time, as their cost decreased, they became as ubiquitous in backyards as swing sets and croquet mallets.
What Precautions Can You Take?
As with any recreational activity, there are steps you can take to minimize the risk associated with owning and using a trampoline:
- Supervise, supervise, supervise: most trampoline injuries result when there is no, or lax, adult supervision
- One at a time, kids: 75% of trampoline injuries occur when more than one person is bouncing
- Even your odds: make sure you place the trampoline on level ground
- Safety accessories: use pads and safety nets to minimize accidents
- Leave the acrobatics to the circus: flips and somersaults, though admittedly tempting, multiply the likelihood of injury
- Insurance: Ask your insurance agent if trampolines are covered by your homeowner’s/renter’s insurance, and inquire about a rider for additional coverage if necessary
Give Us a Call
If you or someone you care about has been the unfortunate, if not uncommon, victim of a trampoline injury, then call the personal injury attorneys of Hotz and Associates. By seeking the assistance of our professional and experienced attorneys, you can ensure that you bounce back from your misfortune. Call us at 865-637-9000 today.